Before you pack for your move, it is a great idea to clean out and throw away all unwanted items. Donating these items to a local charity or holding a garage sale is a fun and easy way to do this. Some of the supplies you will need to pack the items in your home are;
- Boxes of all sizes
- Plastic bags
- Newspaper or bubble wrap
- Packing tape
Making a floor plan of your new home and decide where furniture will be placed will make the moving in experience run alot smoother.
- Label the top and sides of all boxes with contents and the room it’s going to.
- Start packing seldom used items as early in the process as you can.
- Packed items should not exceed 30 pounds.
- Pack heavy items in smaller boxes and lighter items in bigger boxes
- Thoroughly wrap your breakables in newspaper, packing paper, bubble wrap or use towels and blankets as extra padding around fragile items.
- Use “fragile” stickers on cartons requiring special care.
- Pack books on edge in small cartons.
- Tape cords under all electrical appliances.
- If you have children, let them feel involved by allowing them to help you pack their toys and clothes.
- Make up inventory sheets in case any boxes go missing.
- Mark “Do Not Move” on cartons you will take by car.
Never pack the following items:
- Household cleaners
- Important papers
Moving out of your home
- Remove linens from beds and pack in “open first’ boxes.
- Don’t forget to empty the “secret hiding places” in your home.
- Take your existing phone books to make it easier to keep in touch with old friends.
- Be considerate and give the home a final cleaning.
- Make sure to leave the spare keys and the garage door opener for the new owner.
- Remember to fill one box with moving day essentials like paper plates, utensils, cleaning supplies, extension cords, hand tools and paper towels. You may also want to set aside a few days worth of clothes, food and any other essentials you will need.
- For apartment dwellers, reserve the elevator for your moving day.
Moving into your new home
- Review your floor plan to check where you want furniture and appliances placed.
- Check to make sure utilities, including telephones are connected.
- Confine your pets to an out-of-the-way room.
- Once all items are unloaded, unpack only what you need to get started in your new home.